THE IMPORTANCE OF RETURN TO WORK/LIGHT DUTY PROGRAMS
Return to work programs allow employees who are unable to perform their normal job duties due to an injury or illness to return to work in a light duty capacity while they recover. Benefits of return to work programs for employers include reducing the financial impacts of workplace injuries, improving your ability to manage claims, and getting your employees back to work with less time and money spent on recruiting. Employees benefit from return to work programs by having the ability to retain their full earning capacity and staying on a regular work schedule.
HOW TO IMPLEMENT A RETURN TO WORK PROGRAM
- Appoint a program leader (typically an HR or operations manager)
- Craft detailed job descriptions across your operation and identify light duty functions
- Create modified duty options for each job type
- Write a formal return to work policy and notify employees
- Educate employees on return to work policy and process
- Using key indicators (e.g., lost time days, number of employee days on light duty), analyze program results and adjust policy and process as needed
RBN CAN HELP
RBN can help develop employment policies, retention strategies, employee handbooks, safety procedures, and wellness programs. Visit our P&C overview page to learn more about our services.