“94% of crashes are caused by human error” – The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Distracted driving poses a significant risk to every business that has employees who drive for company business. Common activities that divert attention from the road include texting, eating, drinking, reaching for an object, talking with a passenger, and operating navigation systems. Developing appropriate policies, trainings, and enforcement protocols can help limit liability and increase safety. Increasingly, insurance carriers are reviewing distracted driving policies as part of their underwriting process and in many cases requiring companies to implement such policies.
PREVENTION TIPS FOR COMMERCIAL FLEETS
- Perform a safety audit to provide a high-level overview of distracted driving risks and other concerns.
- Create a driver safety program and a distracted driving policy. Regularly communicate policies and education via emails, meetings, trainings, and signage. Enforce these policies consistently by taking appropriate action when you become aware of violations.
- Equip vehicles with lockboxes that drivers can use to store potential distractions, like smartphones, tablets, and cigarettes. Work with drivers to plan trips ahead of time. Ensure drivers have a clear understanding of their routes to reduce the need for potentially distracting navigation devices.
- Use driver monitoring programs to evaluate individual drivers. Reward safe driver behavior to encourage a culture of safety.
- Instruct drivers to park if they need to use their phone or an electronic device.
- Manage driver schedules to ensure employees are well-rested between trips.
- Encourage employees to sign a pledge indicating their willingness to drive in a safe manner.
RBN CAN HELP
In addition to providing comprehensive insurance and risk management services, RBN provides value-add benefits and a full-service coverage platform to our clients. RBN can help develop employment policies, retention strategies, employee handbooks, safety procedures, and wellness programs.